What is the conscience?
“The conscience is your consciousness of what you believe is right and wrong”
- Conscience produces different results for people based on different moral standards.
- Conscience can change.
- Conscience functions as a guide, monitor, witness, and judge.
Twenty Scripture Texts on the Conscience
- Acts 23:1
- Acts 24:16
- Romans 2:15
- Romans 9:1
- Romans 13:5
- 1 Corinthians 8:7, 20, 12
- 1 Corinthians 10:25, 27-29
- 2 Corinthians 1:12
- 2 Corinthians 4:2
- 2 Corinthians 5:11
- 1 Timothy 1:5, 19
- 1 Timothy 3:9
- 1 Timothy 4:2
- 2 Timothy 1:3
- Titus 1:15
- Hebrews 9:9, 14
- Hebrews 10:2, 22
- Hebrews 13:18
- 1 Peter 2:19
- 2 Peter 3:16, 21
A Prayer for Grace through the Conscience
(found in Conscience by Andrew Naselli and J. D. Crowley)
Father, we are finite and sinful people, and for a complex of reasons that you know far better than we do, we disagree with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ on all sorts of disputable matters.
- Would you please give us grace to welcome those who disagree with us on various disputable issues?
- Would you please give us grace to not look down on those who are stricter than we are?
- Would you please give us grace to not be judgmental toward those who exercise more freedom than we do?
- Would you please give us grace to be fully convinced of our positions in our own consciences?
- Would you please give us grace to practice our freedoms and restrictions for your glory and to assume that other believers are doing the same?
- Would you please give us grace to keep disputable matters in perspective, knowing that we will all someday stand before your judgment seat?
- Would you please give us grace to not let our freedom destroy the faith of a professing Christian who is weaker on a particular disputable matter?
- Would you please give us grace to build each other up in righteousness, peace, and joy?
- Would you please give us grace to not flaunt our freedom or expect others to be as strict as we are?
- Would you please give us grace to live according to our conscience and experience your blessing?
- Would you please give us grace to follow the example of Christ, who put others first?
- Would you please give us grace to bring you glory by welcoming one another as Christ has welcomed us?
Lord, we are weak and selfish. We need so much endurance and encouragement to live with our brothers and sisters in this way of peace. You are the God of endurance and encouragement. Please grant us to live in such harmony with one another and in accord with Christ Jesus that together we may with one voice glorify you, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Naselli, Andrew David and J. D. Crowley. Conscience: What it is, How to Train It, and Loving Those Who Differ. Wheaton: Crossway, 2016.