When Joseph found out that Mary was with child he planned to send her away secretly. Matthew in his gospel says, “But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
In the Name of Jesus
by Larry Weaver
“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” (Juliet; Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)). While that may be true for roses, it is not true for the name of Jesus. His name is unique and higher than all names. There are more than 50 references to the “name of Jesus” in the New Testament with more than 25 in Acts alone.
• Salvation is only in the name of Jesus (Acts 4:12; 1 John 2:12), it is
• By His name we access the Father (John 15:16; 16:23 – 26),
• New Testament miracles were performed in the name of Jesus (Luke 10:17; Acts 3:6),
• Christians are baptized in the name of Jesus (Acts 10:48; 19:5),
• In the name of Jesus was cited as the authority for instructions to the church (Matt 18:20; 1 Cor 1:10; 5:4, 5; 2 Thess 3:6),
• We worship in the name of Jesus (Eph 5:19, 20),
• Christians suffer for the name of Jesus (John 15:21; Acts 21:13),
• Everyone will ultimately submit to His name (Phil 2:9 – 11).
What does it mean for a Christian to act in the name of Jesus? When an ambassador visits another country in the name of his leader and on his leader’s behalf, his authority, words, and actions have the same weight as if the leader himself were there (cf Acts 4:7). Acting in the name of Jesus is similar to one sibling telling another to do something because mama said to do it. When we act “in the name of Jesus” we do so with the same authority and privilege as if it were Jesus Himself.
Since salvation is by no other name than Jesus, our security is based on His standing with the Father. When we pray to our Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus, the Father hears us as though we were Jesus Himself. We share the truth in His name (Acts 4:18), we worship our Father in Jesus’ name (Eph 5:19, 20), in fact everything we do is to be done in His name (Col 3:17).
If we want to please our Father, we need to acknowledge His instructions and obey them (1 John 5:1 – 3). He has instructed us to function “in the name of Jesus.” Therefore, we Christians need to live our lives and serve Him in the ability, authority, and privilege of Jesus rather than in any of our own.
Preparing for Sunday Worship
Immanuel Christmas Concert
December 18, 2016
“With Us But Not of Us” – I John 2:19
I want to share with you the following change for this Sunday morning, December 18th, due to our Choir’s Christmas Concert during the AM Service.
1. There will be Children’s Church during the AM Service
2. Children who are not singing in the Christmas Concert may go directly to Children’s Church after Sunday School
3. Children who are singing in the Christmas Concert need to go to the sanctuary after Sunday School and sit with their parents. The children know when they are to go up on stage to sing for the concert.
4. After the children sing their song in the Christmas Concert they will be dismissed to go to Children’s Church.
5. You will pick your child up as usual in the Junior’s Department after the AM Service.
Financial Peace University
A 9 week, ninety minute class starting January 11, 2017 and ending March 8, 2017. The class will be held on Wednesday evenings in the Young Adult Classroom from 7-8:30pm. This life-changing class is a DVD series taught by Dave Ramsey and the FPU teaching team. The biblical financial principles taught in the class will help you achieve your financial goals by showing you how to eliminate debt, save for the future, and give like never before. You will be challenged and motivated to make a plan for your money and change your family tree. View the class schedule, lessons, and register at http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/classes/1031208.
Christmas Angels Outreach
A big THANK YOU to all of you who participated in the ministry of providing Christmas gifts to students at John B. Cary Elementary School. There were tears of joy shed on Wednesday when the team from Immanuel presented the gifts. Praise the Lord !!!
At 5:30 pm we will gather Christmas Eve for our annual Candlelight Service in the sanctuary. Come join with the Immanuel church family in celebration of Jesus’ amazing birth.
Since Christmas & New Years fall on Sundays this year, it was decided that there will only be a 10:45 am Morning Worship service. All other Sunday activities are cancelled.
• Christmas Morning Service
Sunday, Dec. 25th, 10:45 a.m.
• New Year’s Day Service, Sunday
Sunday, Jan. 1st, 10:45 a.m.
On Janauary 8th at 6:30 pm, there will be a special Sunday evening service dedicated to remembering those of our congregation who went home to be with the Lord during 2016. Along with this time of thanksgiving we will celebrate Communion.