When the Bible speaks of the deepest sense of encouragement it uses the word “edify.” Romans 14:19 (NKJV) says, “Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another.” The ESV Bible substitutes the word “edify” with its meaning, “to build up.” Either translation gives a clear command for Christians to actively encourage other Christians, especially in the local church. “Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing” (1 Thess 5:11; also see Eph 4:16).
So how can we do this well? Hallmark doesn’t sell Edification Cards. Shouldn’t encouragement be more than saying “thank you” and posting “Happy birthday”? What simple words or actions will build up someone’s countenance? Think of everyday interactions as a touch. What touch will make someone look up not down, move forward not backward, and feel good not bad?
Here is a short list just to get you started:
- When you thank someone, start with “I thank God for you because…”
- Ask for advice from someone God has gifted in a special area
- Repost on Twitter anything that encouraged you
- Use your emojis wisely, and with so many to choose from, certainly some can build up
- Drop Krispy Kreme doughnuts off at the church office 🙄
- Send random text message words of appreciation
- Hold off on criticism until it’s absolutely necessary and truly helpful
- When someone shares a need pray for them on the spot in their presence
- Follow-up prayer requests with a “how’d that turn out?” sometime later
- Attend events you’re not required to attend
- Be generous with your “likes” on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media
- When you look for a good seat, look for someone sitting alone
- Answer the phone with “how can I help?”
- Post Scripture on social media. See Danny Wahlquist’s Facebook page for awesome examples!
- Share Immanuel’s Facebook posts
- Ask an open-ended question to start a conversation like, “How was your day off?”
- Volunteer before being asked
- Welcome edification as a gift. Tell the giver how it encouraged you in a timely way
What can you add to the list? Post your suggestions to Immanuel’s Facebook page HERE
PREPARING FOR SUNDAY
The King’s Great Commission
No Evening Service
Financial Peace University
Join us for 9 weeks beginning on January 10th at 6:45 PM in the Conference Room. Click here to learn more!
If church services are cancelled because of weather, the notice will be broadcast on Channels 6, 8 and 12, a church wide email will be sent as well as an app alert.
IBC’s Annual Meeting will be
Sunday, January 28 PM at 6:30 PM.
The report will be on the tables Sunday, January 21.
Wednesday Night Activities Resume:
January 10: Choir, Word of Life, Youth
January 17: Women’s Ministry
February 7: Men’s Ministry
Jan. 7 – Remembrance Service and Lord’s Supper
Jan. 28 – Annual Report